Lead, Character Technical Director
- Oversee the rigs produced by the rigging team.
- Act as a mentor and guide the team members.
- Develop and improve tools, techniques, processes and plug-ins to solve character production challenges, and optimize the rigging and animation pipeline.
- Create versatile character rigs and animation interfaces to suit the requirements of the production.
- Sculpt blendshapes and create character facial rigs.
- Create rigs for props and locations too.
- Test the rigs before passing to animation team.
- Troubleshoot and improve the rigs in response to feedback from other departments.
- Developing tools and pipeline to improve the productivity of animation and deformations.
- At least 5 years’ extensive experience in character setup for animation or film industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Animation, Computer Science or other relevant areas of study, OR demonstrable skill set in rigging and tool development.
- Experience in developing tools using Maya API and/or MEL to improve the productivity of the process of character animation.
- Experience in setting up cloth/hair/dynamics simulation rigs is a bonus.
- Proficiency in MEL and/or Python and/or Maya API and/or C++.
- Experience in developing tools to aid the production is a plus.
- Able to communicate in a professional and friendly manner with co-workers.
- Must be able to multi task and handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to prioritize and assign tasks for the rigging team to meet production deadlines.
- Good understanding of polygonal mesh flow and how it relates to deformation. Must be able to provide feedback to modeling team on mesh topology to meet rigging deformation requirements.
- Ability to evaluate the creative requirements of the project and determine the technical impacts, and design the best technical approach to meet the project requirements, i.e. whether 3rd party tools are suitable or to develop in-house tools; which rigging techniques to apply etc.
- Exceptional problem solving skills.
- Ability to design efficient production pipelines and write tools to streamline the rigging and animation process.
- Good sculpting/modeling skills with the ability to translate 2d concept expression sheets into 3d blendshape targets.
- Good aesthetic sense to sculpt appealing blendshape targets when concept expression sheets are not provided.
- Appreciation for physics and kinematics.
- Eye for detail and the ability to troubleshoot and solve rig issues for artists from various disciplines.
Besides skills and qualifications, here are some other pre-requisites for the job:
You should be able to take deadline-related pressure and be committed to the job. If you have what it takes, we would like to extend a warm invitation for you to join us.
If you are interested in the position listed, please do send in your Curriculum Vitae via the following e-mail address: email@example.com
- Please take note that ONLY selected candidates will be notified.
- Walk-in and/or phone-in applicants are strongly discouraged.
- We would only consider job applications via emails.